Go behind the scenes with SI.com's Arash Markazi whoâs âOn The Scene,â writing a regular journal from anywhere and everywhere about anything and everything.
7/11/2006 03:50:00 PM
After Party Info
While Terrell Owens wishes he could play basketball for a living Reggie Bush is already a Saint in New Orleans.
Michael Buckner/Getty Images
So I’m still recovering from three days of events and parties during the Midsummer Night’s charity weekend put on my Baron Davis and Paul Pierce. Check out my diary of the scene here.
It’s a bit long, but try to bear with it, there’s a lot of good stuff in there. For those of you who aren’t into the party scene aspect of the story, here are some interesting sports tidbits I got:
- Tyson Chandler is excited about leaving Chicago and playing in New Orleans. He hasn’t talked to anyone on the team yet but he’s looking forward to catching up with Chris Paul and Byron Scott this week after talking with Hornets GM Jeff Bower, who he was playing phone-tag with for a few days after the trade.
- Darius Miles wants to get out of Portland and play for a contender. Miles, who’s been a Blazer for the past three years, doesn’t really know what the team wants from him, and is tired of always playing on rebuilding teams that have little to no leadership. After seeing his friend and former AAU teammate Dwyane Wade win the championship this year, Miles told me he’s become more motivated to do whatever it takes to take his game to the next level and help a team win a championship.
- Mike James is being courted by three teams and will pick one this week. When I asked James what has wowed him the most about being persued by the Timberwolves, Rockets and Mavericks this off-season he said it was the persistence of Avery Johnson, who has called James on a number of occasions to let him know how much he would mean to Dallas’ run at a championship next season. Kevin Garnett and Tracy McGrady have also called him up, trying to get the point guard to sign with their teams.
- Jerry Porter isn’t the happiest camper going into Raiders training camp. While Porter, who signed a three-year $15 million deal with the team last year, is looking to have a career-season as he's been training hard since the end of last season and getting himself in the best shape of his life (he’s actually been training with Penny Hardaway recently), he has been just as confused and perplexed as everyone else in the Raider Nation by the moves the team has made this off-season, from hiring Art Shell, who hasn’t been an NFL head coach in over a decade, to going to camp with much maligned quarterback Aaron Brooks as their top signal caller.
- Reggie Bush is a Saint, even if he’s not signed yet. The Heisman trophy winner doesn’t know when he’s going to get a deal from the Saints worth signing - he hopes it will be before training camp opens - but that hasn’t stopped him from reaching out in the community and donating his time and resources to Katrina victims. He told me that things are still terrible in many communities and he’s making it a priority to help out as much as he can, with or without a contract.
- If Terrell Owens could go back in time he would have be an NBA player. In fact, he told me if he wasn’t such as successful NFL player, he just might consider quitting to become an NBA player. Instead he feeds his passion for his favorite sport by playing hoops nearly everyday and going to as many NBA games as he can.
OK, that’s enough of the Cliff’s Notes version of the column. Check out the real thing when you get a chance.
I like your columns, but you always mention that you see models and women accompanying stars, but you only post pictures of guys. That really sucks. I would like to see pictures of these women. That would make your column totally rock.