World Cup History Quiz, 1930-1966
2. Who scored the first goal in World Cup history?
Marcel Langiller, France
Lucien Laurent, France
Bart McGhee, U.S.
Guillermo Stabile, Argentina
3. Luis Monti played for Argentina in 1930 and for what team in 1934?
4. Who was the first player to score four goals in a single World Cup game, in 1938?
Silvio Piola, Italy
Ernest Wilimowski, Poland
Gyula Zsengeller, Hungary
5. Where did a FIFA official store the World Cup trophy during the WWII hiatus prior to the 1950 tournament?
In a bank safe-deposit box
In a doghouse
In a shoebox under his bed
In a display case at FIFA headquarters
6. Who was the captain of the 1954 German champions who passed away during the 2002 World Cup?
7. Who is the World Cup founder who died two years before the 1958 World Cup, and for whom the original trophy was named?
Pierre de Coubertin
8. The host Chileans in 1962 are said to have consumed spaghetti before beating Italy, chocolate (or cheese, some say) before beating Switzerland and vodka before beating the Soviet Union; what did they consume before losing to Brazil?
9. Why was the opening match between England and Uruguay in 1966 delayed?
Queen Elizabeth II was held up in traffic on her way to the opening ceremony
A broken turnstile left thousands stuck outside
Uruguay had to find a darker kit as its sky blue jerseys clashed with England's white
Seven English players had left their identity cards at the team hotel
10. Who located the World Cup trophy when it was lost in 1966?
Freckles the cat
Pickles the dog