Former No. 1 withdraws due to back injury
Posted: Monday January 17, 2000 10:31 AM
Carlos Moya felt the best-of-five set format was too much for him given his limited practice time. Clive Brunskill/Allsport
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- Former world No. 1 Carlos Moya
withdrew Monday from the Australian Open due to a recurrence of the
back injury which forced him to retire from last year's U.S. Open.
The 1998 French Open titleist said he didn't want to risk further
damage to a stress fracture of his vertebrae by playing in the
best-of-five set Grand Slam format without adequate practice.
"It's the same problem I had at the U.S. Open -- the difference
now is that I'm feeling a lot better," he said. "The main problem
is that I did not practice too much."
"If this tournament was best-of-three sets, maybe I will try to
play. But after hitting half an hour -- the longest practice I had
lately -- and suddenly start playing best of five sets with such a
hot day would be really difficult for me. I didn't want to take
such a risk."
Moya was scheduled to play Marc Rosset of Switzerland in a
first-round match later Monday. He will be replaced in the draw by
Britain's Jamie Delgardo, the lucky loser from qualifying.
The 24-year-old Spaniard became a favorite with the crowd in
Melbourne after reaching the final against Pete Sampras in 1997. He
was ousted in the second round here in '98 and the first round last
He reached the No.1 ranking in March last year before the back
injury restricted him to two tournaments late in the year and his
ranking slumped to No. 24.
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Copyright © 2000|
An AOL Time Warner Company.
All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.