It figures. SI devotes an anniversary issue to the 40 most influential, inspirational and innovative sports figures of the past 40 years, but how much space does it give to the 40 least important? This one lousy page.
So with no time to waste, we proudly present, at absolutely no extra charge, the most dubious, irrelevant and annoying individuals of the last 40 years.
40. Renee Richards. Most famous changeover in tennis history.
39. LeRoy Neiman. Best-known bad painter this side of Norm on Cheers.
38. Gerry Faust. You hire a high school coach to take over the greatest college football program. How could it not work?
37. ESPN2. So herky-jerky you need Dramamine to watch it.
36. Rosie Ruiz. People laugh, but her record for the Boston Marathon still stands: 27 minutes, 36 seconds.
35. Quintin Dailey. Troubled guard was almost surely the only first-round NBA draft pick to order a hot dog from the bench.
34. Arazi. Slowest European import since Fabio.
33. Victor Kiam. Why couldn't Remington make something to shut him up.