The Blue Devils' interim coach is Pete Gaudet, 52, the former headman at Army who came to Durham as Krzyzewski's chief adjutant in 1983. When the restricted-earnings rule was passed, Gaudet was earning about $71,000, most of it from a personal-services contract with his boss that put him in charge of Krzyzewski's basketball camp. But when the rule took effect in August 1992, Duke was faced with a dilemma: Either turn one of its two young, full-time assistants, Tommy Amaker or Mike Brey, into the restricted-earnings coach and plug Gaudet into one of their vacated slots, or make Gaudet the third assistant and therefore ineligible for the windfall from Krzyzewski's camp. Gaudet did not want to become an on-the-road recruiter, and Krzyzewski did not want Gaudet's wise head to be absent from practice, so Duke reluctantly chose the latter option. Gaudet has taken a part-time job teaching phys ed at Duke, while his wife, Maureen, has begun work as a substitute teacher. As of last week, as the Blue Devils remained winless in the ACC, he was making barely $300 a week for doing a $300,000-a-yearjob.
With his boss's blessing, Gaudet sued Krzyzewski, Duke and the NCAA over the new rule, claiming interference with his contract with Krzyzewski. But last week a Durham County superior court judge dismissed that suit. Nonetheless, Gaudet is one of some 275 restricted-earnings assistants currently represented in a class-action suit against the NCAA.
School after school is filling its full-time slots with young assistants because the head coach wants their energy on the recruiting trail. Thus the restricted-earnings rule isn't achieving one of its purposes: providing entry-level coaching opportunities. But Ken Kirkman, Gaudet's lawyer, got little sympathy when he argued that the rule should be overturned because its intent bears little relationship to its actual result. Says Kirkman: "As far as an organization like the NCAA goes, it can do what it wants to."
The celebratory hangover from Nebraska's national title had hardly worn off when Cornhusker football players began appearing in the news pages of the Lincoln papers. Last week receiver Reggie Baul said he would plead guilty to a charge of receiving stolen property in connection with the theft of a wallet in November, and running back Lawrence Phillips entered a not guilty plea to an assault charge stemming from an incident last March. This comes after defensive lineman Christian Peter's no-contest plea last spring to a sexual assault charge, for which he's currently serving an 18-month probation. Meanwhile, defensive back Tyrone Williams is still awaiting trial on felony charges, pending for nearly a year, of firing a gun at an occupied car.
Legal maneuvering, a crowded docket and a change of attorneys have put off Williams's trial. The disposition of Baul's case was delayed in part because he initially pleaded no contest, changed that to not guilty and then changed his plea again. As a result of several continuances granted by a county court, Peter wasn't sentenced until a year after the sexual assault. And in the case of Phillips, a trial date has been set for March 7—again, almost a year after the alleged incident.
It's not surprising that Nebraska coach Tom Osborne didn't suspend any of the four from the Huskers' Orange Bowl appearance. But was there an unstated reason the three unresolved cases weren't disposed of earlier, when Nebraska's football fortunes might have suffered? "I know some people are ready to believe that we give special favors to Nebraska football players," says city prosecutor Norm Langemach, who points out that Phillips was scheduled to be arraigned on Dec. 23, the day the Huskers left for Miami, and didn't show up. "But continuances are the bane of the justice system."
And a boon to a team trying to win a national title.
At age 100 the Van Cortlandt Park golf course in the Bronx is the oldest public course in the country, but its most challenging feature has only recently been added. The 203-yard par-3 17th hole now confronts Gotham's golfers with a 20,000-cubic-yard stretch of garbage alongside the fairway. The junk hazard, made up mostly of construction debris illegally dumped by contractors over the past year, has altered the soil chemistry around the hole, killing off 96 trees. American Golf Corp., which runs Van Cortlandt, called the dumping "an error on the part of one of our middle managers" and has promised to restore the "integrity" of the hole. Then again, American Golf also runs the Pelham/Split Rock Golf Course elsewhere in the Bronx. That's where detectives from the city's auto crimes division recently unearthed a 1988 Honda buried near Pelham's 14th hole.