It is this brand of optimism that guides the entire staff at Tech. When a friend told Foster recently that there was a 70% chance of rain on a day he had planned to play golf, Foster replied, "Well, we'll just play in the 30 percent sunshine."
Foster types a snippet of wisdom at the top of every practice schedule. He then asks a player to interpret it. Foster's favorite is "The road to success is always under construction." Foster should know. He has spent his 29-year career weaving straw into gold for 503 victories at five schools, but he is still regularly confused with the Bill Foster who coached Duke in the late '70s.
Tech is almost certain to earn a spot in the NCAA field, and in the midst of this magical year in Blacksburg you can't ignore an intriguing coincidence. Foster will turn 60 on April 1, the same night that the NCAA championship will be decided. "It sure would be great to still be playing basketball on my birthday," Foster says. "Wouldn't that be a wonderful end to the fairy tale?"
A hokey climax to a Hokie story.