Hello, it's me: Last week, Rex Rundgren, a shortstop from Sacramento City College and son of rocker Todd, was selected by the Marlins in the 11th round of the baseball draft. Rex is the latest scion of an entertainment figure to make a splash in the sports world. How many of these other famous father-son combos can you name?
1. Father mastered the R&B sound, but when XFL folded, it was the son, a wide receiver for the Birmingham Thunderbolts, who had tears on his pillow, pain in his heart.
2. Although father was famous for hitting the road (at least on the silver screen), son made name for himself when he won 1981 U.S. Amateur golf tournament at San Francisco's Olympic Club, only 15 miles from home.
3. Eight was enough for father, but son knocked off the world's top-ranked player when he beat John McEnroe in semifinals of 1981 Seiko- Tokyo tournament.
4. Though father was trailblazing '50s doo-wopper, son, a first-round NBA draft selection in 1991, turned out to be great pretender after he bailed on the Pistons and $36 million contract in '99.
5. While dad got famous for juggling squares, son was a diamond man who spent nine seasons as a first baseman for the Cubs and the Royals in 1970s.
6. Father gained fame as a member of The Dirty Dozen and for storming Sands of Iwo Jima. Golfer son was undone by sands of Sawgrass, where bunker bogey on 12th hole cost him 1981 TPC to Raymond Floyd.
7. Father shot the sheriff in Jamaica; son sacked the quarterback near South Beach.
8. Father was Starsky and Hutch's street informant. Son has informed Michigan that he'll be USC's running back this fall.