Daytona Beach and Road Course
The first 12 NASCAR races in Daytona (1948 through '58) were held on a 4.1-mile track that was half beach and half Highway A1A. (Pictured here is a 1948 motorcycle race.) The sand and the road are still there (inset), though A1A has been widened to four lanes. The stock cars moved four miles inland to Daytona Speedway in 1959.
The 22-screen megaplex at the corner of St. Catherine and Atwater (left) has room for 4,300 people, roughly a fourth of what the Forum, the home of the Canadiens for 71 years, held when it closed in 1996. The complex also has a climbing wall and a multimedia exhibit called Memories of the Forum.
Want to pay homage to the Minnesota Vikings' defense of yore by listening to Sheb Wooley's classic Purple People Eater? You shouldn't have trouble finding the CD at the Mall of America (above), the country's biggest shopping complex. More than 520 stores—and an amusement park called Camp Snoopy—are located in suburban Bloomington on the site of the Met, which the Vikings called home from 1961 through '81.
On what was once an infield patrolled by Honus Wagner and Bill Mazeroski sits Posvar Hall, the largest classroom building on the University of Pittsburgh campus (left). The stadium, which was the Pirates' home from 1909 through '70, was demolished in '71, but part of the ivy-covered outfield wall still stands, and home plate remains in place, under glass on a first-floor walkway in Posvar.
Madison Square Garden
The third edition of the world's most Famous Arena (below) was located in New York City at the corner of Eighth Avenue and 50th Street in Hell's Kitchen from 1925 to '67. The once tough neighborhood has undergone a revival thanks largely to the 1989 construction of Worldwide Plaza, a 50-story office building and condo complex on the old Garden site.
The giants called it home for their first two years in san Francisco, but the quaint park (above) at 16th and Bryant streets in the Mission District was best known as the home of the minor league Seals from 1931 through '58. On the site now is Potrero Center, a shopping complex that includes a grocery store whose aisles are said to be roamed late at night by the ghosts of former Seals players.