Best wisecracks in the wake of Broncos quarterback Brian Griese's getting tripped on the stairs at his home by his golden retriever, Bella, and suffering a sprained left ankle
1. "The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two."
—Tight end Shannon Sharpe
2. "Fortunately for the Broncos, Denver has a capable veteran quarterback [in] Steve Beuerlein. Unfortunately for the Broncos, Beuerlein has two Shih Tzus."
—Broncos beat writer Adam Schefter, The Denver Post
3. "That's a quarterback for you. No agility."
—Linebacker Ian Gold
4. "I protect his blind side, so I guess it's my fault he tripped over the dog."
—Left tackle Ephraim Salaam
MY TWO CENTS
1. What makes Donovan McNabb's new contract, a 12-year deal worth up to $115 million, so good for the Eagles is that it binds a very good player to his team at reasonable salary-cap numbers. Because the last three years can be voided (based on playing time), the commitment is actually for nine years and $72 million. The cap numbers fall between $4.9 million (in 2002) and $10 million (2010) over the nine years.
2. Packers wideout Terry Glenn, who missed practice last week because of migraines and nausea, is already wearing out his welcome. His teammates privately question his guts.