SI Vault
Edited by Robert Sullivan
September 22, 1986
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
September 22, 1986


View CoverRead All Articles View This Issue


The aftershocks of Len Bias's death continue. Last week Prince Georges County (Md.) state attorney Arthur A. Marshall was upset in a Democratic primary for that office by Alex Williams, a Howard University law professor who has never held public office. Marshall, who has served for 24 years, drew 28,845 votes to Williams's 30,891.

Marshall directed the official investigation into Bias's death and made public his opinion that certain University of Maryland officials should be held accountable. When a county grand jury failed to indict basketball coach Lefty Driesell for obstruction of justice—Driesell reportedly told some of his players to clean up the dorm room where cocaine had been taken and further instructed them not to talk to anyone about the case—Marshall lambasted the university in a press conference on the courthouse lawn. Some saw this as grandstanding, and others criticized him for failing to obtain the indictments he had sought. Williams said the Bias affair had been "critical" to his victory. "A number of people at the polls had serious problems with Mr. Marshall's handling of the case," he said, "and they voted him out for that reason." Marshall disagreed. "I don't think it had much to do with the election," he said. "If I were here, I would do it this way next year."

?In an unrelated development, a new medical report commissioned by Marshall—but disputed by the state medical examiner—suggests that Bias swallowed up to five grams of coke, possibly in a drink, rather than sniffing or smoking it. The report was prepared by three Prince George's General Hospital staffers who examined the autopsy report on Bias and concluded that the amount of cocaine found in Bias's stomach was "far too much to be accounted for by smoking."

Ro Waldron, the head football coach at Catholic University in Washington, D.C., was concerned: Half his team was skipping afternoon practice because it conflicted with classes. Dire situations call for drastic measures, and Waldron decreed that Tuesday through Thursday practices would be held from 6:15 to 8:15—in the morning. Last Tuesday was the first day under the new system, and while it was tough on the players—they had to be in the locker room by 5:45—it was just as tough on the coaches. Two of Waldron's seven assistants were snoozing on benches within minutes after the practice. And defensive line coach Jim Lynch was seen dashing out the door, knotting his tie as he ran. Lynch, who heads a Potomac, Md., public relations firm, was already late for work.


All bad things must come to an end, and Glenville ( Minn.) High's eight-year losing streak finally did. When last we checked (SI, Nov. 4, 1985), Glenville's football team had lost 68 straight games and was closing in on the high school record of 72 set by Iberia (Mo.) High between 1965 and 1974. Glenville lost two more games this season—the tally was 70 and counting—but on Friday things were different. That night, in a game that astonishingly was rated a toss-up, Glenville beat Ellendale-Geneva 14-8.

There was great joy in Glenville. "All hell is going to break loose!" said junior Dean Dahlum, who rushed for 64 yards and intercepted two passes. He failed to realize that hell is what had been disposed of, and that, besides, it's tough for hell to break loose in a farming town of 851 citizens. "It's a relief," said beleaguered Glenville coach Roger Reuvers. He had sweated until the final gun, remembering, perhaps, the 2-0 loss to Morristown in 1981 or the 6-0 overtime defeat by Janesville in '83. "We're still in a state of shock."

There was a poignant and all too familiar scene at the end of Friday's game. The Ellendale-Geneva cheerleaders, and even some of the players, were in tears. Finally, after far too long a time, the sneaker was on the other foot.


Continue Story
1 2 3