SI Vault
 
Now they call her Payday Pat
Barry McDermott
September 29, 1986
Pat Bradley, once maligned, made a whole career of wins out of '86
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
September 29, 1986

Now They Call Her Payday Pat

Pat Bradley, once maligned, made a whole career of wins out of '86

View CoverRead All Articles View This Issue

"I look back at the year, and at times I even amazed myself."
—PAT BRADLEY

So who's choking now? Not ol' Pat, not anymore. Just when it looked as if the LPGA might have to offer 2.9% financing to get anybody to care about the women's golf tour, along came Pat Bradley and her year of playing wonderfully.

Roger Clemens has had a great season in baseball. Ivan Lendl had a great year in tennis. Larry Bird had one in basketball. In 1986 Pat Bradley has had herself a career, five victories, including three of the four women's majors.

By the time Bradley got to San Jose last week for the Konica Classic, the last domestic tournament of the year, everyone was saluting her performance, the likes of which has rarely been seen before in all of golf's history—women's or men's division. LPGA commissioner John Laupheimer and the players even stood and applauded their leader at a meeting Tuesday night, an occurrence that brought the ironsided Bradley close to tears.

Many of the players on the LPGA tour were even reputed to be practicing their own versions of The Stare, that otherworldly, emotionless, zoned-out and occasionally intimidating facial expression that "Brad" conjures up as soon as the red numbers begin to appear next to her name on the tournament leader boards. Says fellow pro Muffin Spencer-Devlin, "If I could steal something from Pat, I'd swipe her concentration."

Throughout her career, the alltime leading LPGA money winner—Bradley passed JoAnne Carner this season and stands at $2,283,946—has had to fight a hook as well as several phobias and quirks. For instance, Bradley is afraid to fly, even though her brother, Rick, is a hotshot Navy pilot. She also has a fear of losing her golf clubs. She frets over bumpy greens. And she puts a lot of stock in dreams. This year, as Bradley played her way to the top, she even learned that a headache at the end of the day was a sign that things had gone well. It meant that she had been concentrating, that The Stare was working. "It is so intense," she says.

Bradley's play this season has been so sharp that the current ladies' locker room rumor is that Nancy Lopez, who gave birth to her second daughter in May, has stayed off the tour a bit longer than she might have only because Bradley is too good. Wrong, counters Mama Lopez: "I just don't have anything to shoot for. My goal for next year is to be Number 1 again."

For now, No. 1 belongs to Bradley, together with her lucky 13—she has it on her license plate, and in competition she will use golf balls numbered 1 or 3 only. This season (her 13th, naturally) Brad won 75% of the majors—the Nabisco Dinah Shore, the LPGA Championship and the du Maurier Classic—and finished tied for fifth in the other 25%, the U.S. Open. She also took the World Championship of Women's Golf and the S & H Golf Classic in St. Petersburg. With the Mazda Classic in Japan yet to be played, Bradley is assured of her first Player of the Year award. She is also the year's leading money winner with $489,749, has the $125,000 Mazda points bonus locked up and will probably take the scoring title as well. You might say that she has run the table.

"There are three things in life," says tour caddie Dee Darden. "Death, taxes and Bradley on the leader board."

Someone compared Bradley's season with that of Greg Norman, the dominating force on this year's men's circuit. "Yeah, but he lost three of the four majors," said Bradley. "I won them."

Continue Story
1 2