SI Vault
Great Scott, What A Show
Bruce Newman
October 20, 1986
The NLCS featured a truly amazin' Mets comeback and two gems by pitcher Mike Scott of the Astros
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
October 20, 1986

Great Scott, What A Show

The NLCS featured a truly amazin' Mets comeback and two gems by pitcher Mike Scott of the Astros

View CoverRead All Articles View This Issue

Somewhere back there in the days before the split-fingered fastball actually became a cult religion, back when Roger Craig was just another bald guy on unemployment and not the Bhagwan Rog, hardly anybody had ever heard of Mike Scott. "I was just a guy who kind of hung on," Scott says, "sometimes as the 10th guy on a 10-man staff. The way I was pitching, I never knew from one game to the next whether I'd be looking for a new line of work."

When the Houston Astros suggested in 1984 that Scott go to San Diego and learn how to throw the split-fingered pitch from Craig, who was then retired from baseball, Scott was coming off a 5-11 season. Fortunately for Scott, he mastered the pitch quickly, and by last week he had become so commanding with it that twice he overwhelmed the New York Mets in the National League Championship Series, turning baseball's winningest team into a bunch of banjo hitters named Gary and Wally, Mookie and Sneezy, and Grumpy and Doc. Fortunately for the Mets, they had to face Scott only twice last week, during which time he limited them to a single run and struck them out 19 times to insure that the series would go back to Houston and the Astrodome.

"He paints," said Mets first baseman Keith Hernandez after Scott's 3-1 masterpiece evened the series at 2-2 Sunday night. "He's a Rembrandt. If everybody threw like that all the time, this game would never make it because it would just be too bleeping boring."

The Mets had no one to match Scott, although Dwight Gooden came awfully close in Game 1, which the Mets lost 1-0. The Mets' hitters could not come up with any answers to Scott. They did, however, have some questions about him, and most of them centered around whether or not Scott was illegally scuffing the ball before he threw it. So after Game 4, which the Astros had won on home runs by catcher Alan Ashby and shortstop Dickie Thon off New York starter Sid Fernandez, the Mets produced more than a dozen balls bearing scuff marks. They said they had collected the balls during the game. It was a kind of People's Court, with home plate umpire Dutch Rennert acting as Judge Wapner. Rennert pointed out that not a single player had asked him to inspect a ball during the game and said that the evidence was inadmissible because it came from the Mets. To that, second baseman Wally Backman replied, "Well, we sure as hell weren't sitting in the dugout rubbing the balls up."

However he did it, Scott's was the scratch for which the Mets had no equivalent itch. Pitching on only three days' rest, he didn't have an overpowering fastball Sunday, so he relied increasingly on the split-finger. "I was sitting on that pitch all night and he still stuck it down my throat," said Hernandez.

The Astros were in desperate need of a lift on Sunday after having blown a 4-0 lead in Game 3 and losing 6-5 in the last inning. Mets rightfielder Darryl Strawberry, who later set a Championship Series record by striking out eight times, got New York back in that game with a three-run homer. Then after Houston had gone ahead again, Lenny Dykstra, the Mets' 5'8" centerfielder, hit a dramatic two-run home run in the bottom of the ninth to win it. "That really crushed us as a team," said Glenn Davis, the Astros' first baseman. "It was a shattering blow. Strawberry's home run was the one that really beat us. By the time Dykstra hit his home run, you could just kind of feel it coming, like they were gathering themselves."

With catcher Gary Carter hitting .059 for the series and Strawberry at .214 before the homer, the Mets had been suffering a power brownout at a particularly bad time. After Scott had shut them out in the first game—something that had happened to them only four times all season—the Mets scored in just 2 of the next 14 innings; it was a long gathering process.

The Astros themselves had managed to score only two runs in the two games in Houston, and. were undoubtedly relieved to be going to Shea Stadium tied. Some Astros, though, were happier to be going to New York than others. Dave Smith. Houston's late-inning bullpen ace, recalled having been urinated on from the upper deck earlier this season by one particularly demonstrative Mets fan. "It was the first time I had ever been used for long relief," Smith said. "I don't even know why they rained on my parade. After all, I gave up the winning run that day."

Sometimes you have to take these harbingers where you find them. As Smith walked out to the bullpen at Shea on Saturday, he passed near the batting practice cage where Dykstra had just finished hitting and now stood wringing the autumn chill from his hands. Dykstra's expression was pained, and when he looked up at a smudge of clouds, Smith even heard him mutter, "Brutal." Smith kept his gaze level and continued walking. He knew better than to look up toward the sky in Shea Stadium.

But the Astros finally got the bats off their shoulders in Game 3, striking for two runs in each of the first two innings against 15-game winner Ron Darling. Houston starter Bob Knepper, a lefthander who forced lefties Dykstra and Backman to the bench, had allowed one base runner as far as second through five innings. In the sixth, however, Kevin Mitchell scored when Houston shortstop Craig Reynolds booted Carter's grounder, and then Strawberry, who was 0 for 10 against Knepper this season, uncoiled his tremendous swing into the first pitch and drove it into the rightfield seats. The Astros came right back with a run in the seventh to lead 5-4, but in the eighth Houston manager Hal Lanier decided to bring in righthanded reliever Charlie Kerfeld, which allowed the Mets manager, Davey Johnson, to unleash some of the lefthanded hitters on his bench.

Continue Story
1 2