In May Cris was subpoenaed by the federal grand jury in Chicago looking into the activities of Walters and Bloom. On July 10, Berry told Bruce that Cris had signed with WSE.
Cris now faces possible criminal charges and may be sued by Walters for breach of contract Says Bruce, "I hope someday I'll be able to forgive him, but I won't forget what he has done."
Berry, meanwhile, has petitioned the NFL for a supplementary draft that would allow Cris to play in the pros this fall. NFL rules bar anyone from entering the league until either he or his class graduates from college, and some NFL owners have expressed fears that letting Carter compete this season would encourage large numbers of other underclassmen to sign with agents. However, the NFL has made numerous exceptions to the rule in the past, at least once after a player threatened a lawsuit. At week's end Berry was waiting for word from the NFL.
George Carter spoke to SI several times in June but he has not returned phone calls since then. He said he would need money to tell his story because "I have to be able to leave Middletown after I've talked. I know how powerful Norby and them is." He added: "I have tried to sever my ties [with them]. Every time I mention that, they threaten me." Walters and Bloom denied having threatened anyone.
George correctly predicted in a June conversation that his brother would be declared ineligible. He also asserted: "You can't find a player in the first round next year who hasn't already signed with an agent." Though perhaps an exaggeration, Carter's words ought to make college athletic officials nervous.