SI Vault
Merrell Noden
February 15, 1988
Charles Dickens, an avid walker, logged 20 miles a day
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
February 15, 1988

Frisky As The Dickens

Charles Dickens, an avid walker, logged 20 miles a day

View CoverRead All Articles View This Issue

On a bone-chilling February morning in 1868, a small group of hardy souls huddled on Boston's Mill Dam Road. Snow lay thick on the ground and a bitter north wind tossed tiny spiked diamonds of ice into the air. Quickly, three of the figures lined up and leaned forward, eyes fixed on some point far ahead.

"One, two, three—go!" counted one of the three in loud, measured tones, and they all set off walking briskly in the direction of Newton Center.

Walking races were not unusual in 1868. The mid-19th century was, after all, the golden age of professional foot racing, or "pedestrianism," as it was then known. But this race was special, not so much because of the conditions under which it was contested but because of the identity of its promoter, starter, pacesetter and self-appointed chronicler. His name was Charles Dickens.

Dickens was from childhood an avid, even compulsive, walker. He once wrote. "I think I must be the descendant, at no great distance, of some irreclaimable tramp." Scarcely a day went by that Dickens didn't flee his desk and take to the streets of London and its suburbs. He routinely walked as many as 20 miles a day, and once set out at 2 a.m. to walk from his house in London to his country residence in Gad's Hill, Kent, 30 miles away. As several of his walking companions described it, he had a distinctive "swinging" gait. And, like many a serious runner of today, he "made a practice of increasing his speed when ascending a hill," according to his friend Marcus Stone.

Dickens's walks served him in two ways. On one level, they were fact-finding missions during which he recorded with his keen eye the teeming urban landscapes whose descriptions were his stock-in-trade. A letter from Paris to a family friend, the Reverend Edward Tagart, begins innocently enough, "I have been seeing Paris." But what follows is a foot tour of the city that is characteristically Dickensian: "Wandering into Hospitals, Prisons, Dead-houses, Operas, Theatres, Concert-rooms, Burial-grounds, Palaces and Wine Shops. In my unoccupied fortnight of each month, every description of gaudy and ghastly sight has been passing before me in rapid Panorama."

But Dickens's walks played another, more important role in his life. They were, in a sense, acts of self-preservation. "If I could not walk far and fast," he once confessed, "I think I should just explode and perish." Unlike his contemporary, Anthony Trollope, who claimed he reeled off 3,000 words each morning before breakfast, Dickens found composition to be hard, painful work. The hours he spent at his desk agitated him tremendously, and walking served as a kind of safety valve.

Some of Dickens's friends viewed his obsessive walking with suspicion, hinting that if it was not a symptom of mental problems, it would almost certainly cause physical ones. "When Dickens lived in Tavistock House," wrote one concerned friend, "he developed a mania for walking long distances, which almost assumed the form of a disease. He suffered from lumbago, and I have always thought that this was brought on by monotonous pedestrianism—the determination to do a certain distance every day, generally from two in the afternoon till seven in the evening, one mile every quarter-of-an-hour, measured by the milestones." He often took houseguests on long, brisk walks. As Dickens wrote to his close friend, John Forster, "[Frank] Stone is still here, and I lamed his foot by walking him 17 miles the day before yesterday, but otherwise he flourisheth."

Dickens's passion for walking did not diminish with age. He was 55 when he began the second of his tours of America, in 1867, and despite a dizzying schedule of 76 readings in about 150 days ranging from Washington to Buffalo to Portland, Maine, he still made time to walk daily. But try as he might to deny it, Dickens was getting older, and the tour took its toll on him. Despite catching a severe and persistent cold, he hurled himself into every reading with such intensity that he was constantly on the verge of physical breakdown.

Dickens's failing health alarmed two of his companions on the tour, George Dolby and James Osgood. They prevailed on him to cancel some performances, but doing so upset him, and his spirits sank. To cheer him up, they hit upon a plan. "An idea struck us," wrote Dolby, "that a walking match between ourselves [Dolby and Osgood], to take place at the end of February, in Boston, would be a source of amusement to Mr. Dickens."

Clearly, they knew their man. Dickens, according to Dolby's account, "entered heartily into the scheme, volunteering to draw up articles of agreement, to act as a trainer, and to write a 'sporting narrative' of the match." Exercising his flair for exaggeration, Dickens billed the race as "The Great International Walking Match," since Dolby was English and Osgood American.

Continue Story
1 2 3