SI Vault
 
PRIVATE CLUB COLLECTIONS—No. II: UNIVERSITY CLUB
June 04, 1956
In Washington, D.C., a brisk walking distance along 16th Street from the White House, stands the University Club, a venerable building which has long been a center for physical conditioning and social relaxation for members of government and prominent businessmen of the nation's capital. Founded in 1904 during the brawny Administration of Theodore Roosevelt, the club's first president was William Howard Taft, during the period when that sterling golfer served as Secretary of War. About 20 years ago the club was merged with the Racquet Club of Washington, a union that brought with it an excellent collection of sporting art. Originally purchased in Europe by a member commissioned to acquire titles "relating to manly sports," the collection is now, in addition to its real value, a source of great pride to the membership for its embellishment of the clubrooms. On these pages SI shows some of the interesting 19th century English prints included in the group.
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
June 04, 1956

Private Club Collections—no. Ii: University Club

View CoverRead All Articles View This Issue

In Washington, D.C., a brisk walking distance along 16th Street from the White House, stands the University Club, a venerable building which has long been a center for physical conditioning and social relaxation for members of government and prominent businessmen of the nation's capital. Founded in 1904 during the brawny Administration of Theodore Roosevelt, the club's first president was William Howard Taft, during the period when that sterling golfer served as Secretary of War. About 20 years ago the club was merged with the Racquet Club of Washington, a union that brought with it an excellent collection of sporting art. Originally purchased in Europe by a member commissioned to acquire titles "relating to manly sports," the collection is now, in addition to its real value, a source of great pride to the membership for its embellishment of the clubrooms. On these pages SI shows some of the interesting 19th century English prints included in the group.

"THE MELTON BREAKFAST" is a handsome item in the collection. Dedicated to the Master of Quorn Hounds, it shows pink-coated English aristocracy at posthunt gathering.

"THE GOLFER," a print of a fashionable sportsman on the links, was made with "kind permission of the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers."

"WAR," a fighting cock, is an engraving by Turner from painting by Ben Marshall.

"ESSEX HUNT, THE DEATH" was engraved in 1831 from a painting by Wolstenholme. In it members of the famous hunt, still held in England, pause after the chase near a massive country house while hounds gather to "worry" the fox they treed.

1