"Please place the steaks on the respective tables promptly at 9 a.m., making sure that the well-done meat is really well-done and will not have to be returned to the kitchen for additional cooking. If it is necessary for you to hire more help to get this meal out on time, then please do so—at our expense."
A HORSE'S LIFE
The recent death of Bally Ache, winner of the Preakness, 15 other races and $758,522, gave sports page readers an intriguing glimpse of a little-known facet of horse racing. Bally Ache, it developed, had been insured for $1 million. The policy was carried by the Animal Insurance Company of America, which listed assets of $368,605 as of Dec. 31, 1959. This, however, is only the beginning. The Animal Insurance Co. hangs onto only 10% of what it underwrites, reinsuring the other 90% (laying it off, so to speak) with Lloyd's of London. That hoary institution, which is itself a conglomeration of more than 1,000 underwriting syndicates, handles a great deal of horse insurance, spreading the risk around among its many members.
The amount for which a horse may be insured is determined strictly by Lloyd's, and Lloyd's thinks of everything. If a horse runs in a claiming race, the insurance automatically is reduced to the amount for which the animal may be claimed. Policies vary, but most indemnify against loss through natural causes, accidents, inoculations and humane destruction on advice of a veterinarian. If a horse dies after an operation not approved by Lloyd's veterinarians, there is often no payoff. Premiums run between 3�% and 6% of the policy's face value.
An estimated 25% of U.S. race horses are insured, several for a half million each. Nasrullah, sire of Nashua, Bold Ruler and Never Say Die, dropped dead in his paddock last year and brought a $600,000 payoff, the record till Bally Ache.
CAST OF CHARACTERS
? Britain's Dr. Barbara Moore, the marathon walker who plodded across the U.S. last summer, went before an English court to have her house assessment reduced. The reason: there is no public transportation between her house and the towns of Frimley and Camberley, two miles away, and Babs doesn't feel like walking. She won the case and her assessment was cut by �5.
? San Francisco Coach Red Hickey, displeased with the 49ers' 4-4 record, revealed a lineup change in the back-field: "We'll give C.R. a chance with J.D., R.C. and Y.A." The new lineup: C. R. Roberts, J. D. Smith, R. C. Owens and Y. A. Tittle.
? Ernie Broglio, the Cardinals' 21-game winner, has a winter job in California, loading beer cases. "The brand isn't Budweiser," confided Ernie, "so I wish you wouldn't mention it. Mr. Busch might get sore."
? Murray Warmath, Minnesota football coach who last year was hanged in effigy and this year has been idolized (SI, Nov. 14), received this letter from a fan: " Mr. Warmath, you are a great coach and your team has come a long way. You're a helluva lot better than the coach we had last year."