SI Vault
The horse they called crazy
Pat Ryan
August 03, 1964
A new, disciplined Ayres had the last nicker, winning brilliantly at Yonkers to become the favorite for trotting's Triple Crown
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
August 03, 1964

The Horse They Called Crazy

A new, disciplined Ayres had the last nicker, winning brilliantly at Yonkers to become the favorite for trotting's Triple Crown

View CoverRead All Articles View This Issue

When John Simpson came to New York last week for the Yonkers Futurity, no one was sure just what kind of animal he was training for the first leg of trotting's Triple Crown. His bay colt, Ayres, had been variously called a rogue, a gay neurotic, an outlaw and a suitable subject for Sigmund Freud. Well, he may have been all those things once, but Ayres is now the favorite of sane, sensible horsemen for September's Hambletonian and October's Kentucky Futurity and a place in trotting history beside the two previous Triple Crown horses, Scott Frost and Speedy Scot. At Yonkers, Ayres brilliantly outsped the Futurity field, winning by three and a half lengths in 2:01[3/5], track record time for 3-year-olds. His phenomenal final half in 57[4/5] seconds left one horseman wondering if something had gone wrong with the raceway's automatic timer.

Before that tremendous performance there were trotting men who wondered if Ayres, a son of Star's Pride owned by Mrs. Charlotte Sheppard, might revert to his old loco habits. There was a full moon over Yonkers last Thursday and if any transformation was to take place, it seemed a likely time.

One afternoon last year at Delaware, Ohio, Ayres set a world record of 2:00[1/5] in the first heat of a stake for 2-year-olds, and the same day, in the third heat, some kind of record for equine eccentricity. In the middle of the race he abruptly trotted off the track and back to his stall. "Ayres," Simpson insisted nonetheless, "is not a bad-mannered horse." He had an explanation for the Delaware affair. The colt was keyed up and tense. Simpson had seen signs of trouble building. Ayres, who has astonishing natural speed, had raced the previous week in deep mud at Washington Park and had become frantic laboring through the heavy muck. He could not move with his customary light, sure step. Even so, he finished third to Speedy Count, the eventual 2-year-old champion, who won in a snaillike 2:09[2/5].

"At Delaware," Simpson recalls, "the colt literally ran away in the first heat. He was tight and nervous. Between heats I changed his equipment—put a blind bridle on him, thinking it might quiet him—but it made things worse. In the next heat he pulled a boot, got bad-gaited and was beaten. Looking back, I know I should have scratched him from the race-off, but I was mad at him and he got mad at me and that's when he took off back to the barn."

Simpson realized the colt could not be forced. "If you ever whipped him," he says, "he would only fight back. He's got that quality of athletes like Ruth, Williams, Hornung and Hartack. His attitude seems to be, 'I'm Ayres. Who are you?' Most horses don't want to win, or at least don't care about winning. This horse does. He is cocky, sassy and always challenging you."

Fortunately, Simpson is a patient man. There is no horseman better at schooling headstrong, difficult colts than this South Carolinian with the stern, disciplinary manner toward wayward minors. He stands straight, says little and sizes up offenders through silver-rimmed spectacles, looking more like a schoolmaster than a master trainer.

Simpson took Ayres to Orlando, Fla. last winter and spent hundreds of hours driving the colt behind and between horses and working him hard behind the starting gate. "It was the consistent work, the repetition, that made him settle down," Simpson says.

Ayres came to Yonkers with four wins in five starts this year, having been defeated only by the free-for-all trotter Marco Hanover. In a return match he whipped Marco. The colt's speed was never doubted. It amazed horsemen. But they were not wholly convinced that Simpson's reform school had taken the sass out of him.

If Ayres kept his head and stayed on the track and on gait, they reasoned, only one horse had any chance of defeating him. That was Billy Haughton's rangy black trotter Speedy Count, by the young stallion Speedster, the sire of Castleton Farm's Horse of the Year for 1963, Speedy Scot. Speedy Count and Ayres had met six times and had split victories 3-3. Speedy Count was fast but thoroughly dependable and, like Ayres, the winner of four of his five 1964 starts. Ayres had beaten him by three-quarters of a length at The Meadows in June, but Speedy Count had popped a splint in the race and had come out of it sore. Popped splints are usually treated with a firing iron, after which the horse must be given a rest, but with a busy 3-year-old campaign ahead Billy Haughton had to find a faster remedy. One morning a small metal box was flown to Saratoga, where Speedy Count had been shipped. That afternoon a veterinarian opened the box, took two radioactive pellets from it and inserted them in the colt's legs. Three days later Speedy Count won the Battle of Saratoga Stakes "in hand," and 12 days after that, at Vernon Downs, he beat Dartmouth, Bold Viking and Big John—all Hambletonian contenders—in sensational time: two minutes flat.

Speedy Count was the bargain colt of the Hambletonian crop. Haughton had picked him up as a yearling for Florida real estate man Arthur Nardin for only $2,200, and the Count had made a fancy profit for Nardin, winning 25 races all told and $127,890.

Continue Story
1 2