1) Get a few friends and form a simple committee to look after your community.
2) Put together a list of everyone who does bulldozing and clears land in your area (you can get it right from the Yellow Pages).
3) Put together a simple system to check every building permit issued by your community (these are open to public review).
4) Inspect the land to be built on.
5) Contact the owner in a pleasant way, meet with him and work with him to save as much of the natural beauty as possible.
ROBERT W. WILKERSON
Congratulations to SI on successfully second-guessing yourselves by ranking Notre Dame as No. 1 in the Midwest and then proceeding to pick unranked Michigan State to beat us.
Now that you have seen the error of your ways and the might of the Fighting Irish, the only way to atone for this mistake is to acclaim Ara Parseghian as your Sportsman of the Year.
Notre Dame, Ind.
With the faint hope that I might be able to discourage you from choosing some such stellar athlete as Branch Rickey or Stepin Fetchit, I suggest the one athlete who currently dominates his sport as does no other: the Boston Celtics' Bill Russell.
RONALD L. BAUER
In my opinion there is only one person who should receive the Sportsman of the Year award. That person is Don Schollander.
I nominate Brooks Robinson.