- TOP PLAYERSOffensePABLO S. TORRE | August 20, 2012
- TAMPA BAY buccaneersENEMY lines WHAT A RIVAL COACH SAYSJune 28, 2012
- Faces in the CrowdJune 11, 2001
WISCONSIN'S SHERMAN ACT
Now that a Georgia court has enjoined the Atlanta Braves to stay in Atlanta and a Wisconsin court has enjoined the Milwaukee Braves to prepare to play in Milwaukee, the most delicious irony is apparent. After determinedly avoiding litigation for years in order to preserve its immunity from antitrust legislation, baseball has blundered its way into a legal action almost certain to land it in the nation's highest court.
Circuit Judge Elmer Roller's January 25 ruling that the National League is liable to prosecution in his court under Wisconsin's antitrust act was in direct conflict with the Georgia decision. If the supreme courts of the two states uphold their respective lower courts—as seems likely—the U.S. Supreme Court will have a clear duty to resolve the interstate controversy. And the NL's immediately stated intent to defy the Wisconsin injunction all but destroys any chance of a backstage compromise.
Meanwhile, the Braves are 99% sure to play in Atlanta. The other 1% provides most of the amusing speculation. Under the Constitution's "full faith and credit" clause, Wisconsin theorists expect to be able to insist that Missouri, for example, honor the injunction by preventing the Cardinals from playing the Braves in Atlanta. If even one state did thus comply, the National League schedule would be unworkable.
Inertia, self-interest and lack of precedent probably will preclude that possibility and guarantee the Braves' fair accompli, but one wouldn't want to be too sure. In a previous North-South contretemps, it was Atlanta that got burned.
Two new high schools will open in San Antonio next September—Winston Churchill and Theodore Roosevelt. Nobody is willing to bet that their athletic teams won't be known as the Bulldogs and the Rough Riders.
Meanwhile, another new school, Keystone, already is active in sports, but folks are having considerable difficulty giving its young sports heroes a nickname. Why doesn't everybody go right ahead and call them the Kops and get it over with?
Spokane is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to officiate there. Home team Gonzaga University was handling the University of Idaho with surprising ease in a recent Big Sky Conference basketball game, but the Zag fans—as loudly partisan as can be found anywhere—were giving the ref raucous reviews.