Preparation time: 45 minutes
Ingredients: Two quarts water; one cup grits; two
sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter; 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese; one
cup 2% milk; salt; fresh ground pepper; two tomatoes, chopped; four cloves
garlic, minced; 11/2 cups chicken broth; six scallions, finely chopped; two
onions, cut first in half then in julienne strips; two green peppers; one
tablespoon of Mrs. Dash; three pounds shrimp, shelled and deveined.
1. Bring the water to boil in a large saucepan
2. Add grits and 1/2 cup of butter.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir until
4. Remove from heat and stir in the milk and the
5. Season with the salt and pepper, set aside "but
try to keep warm." (Put a lid on it.)
6. Melt two tablespoons of the remaining butter in a
large skillet over medium-high heat.
7. Add onions and green peppers, stirring
occasionally. Allow the pieces to get well caramelized. ("You want them to
brown a little bit as this helps with flavor and color.")