SI Vault
 
For the Record
Edited by Mark Bechtel
July 24, 2006
Won By Shane Mosley, 34, his junior middleweight rematch with Fernando Vargas, 28, in Las Vegas last Saturday. Mosley (above left) knocked down Vargas (right) with a crushing left hook in the sixth round. It was a less controversial victory than he had in their first meeting five months ago, when the fight was stopped after an alleged head butt from Mosley caused grotesque swelling over Vargas's left eye. "It [boosts] my confidence knowing I can knock out bigger guys," said Mosley. The four-time world champion plans to take the rest of the year off and then drop down to 147 pounds and seek a bout with IBF welterweight champ Floyd Mayweather Jr. or another contender.
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
July 24, 2006

For The Record

View CoverRead All Articles

Won
By Shane Mosley, 34, his junior middleweight rematch with Fernando Vargas, 28, in Las Vegas last Saturday. Mosley (above left) knocked down Vargas (right) with a crushing left hook in the sixth round. It was a less controversial victory than he had in their first meeting five months ago, when the fight was stopped after an alleged head butt from Mosley caused grotesque swelling over Vargas's left eye. "It [boosts] my confidence knowing I can knock out bigger guys," said Mosley. The four-time world champion plans to take the rest of the year off and then drop down to 147 pounds and seek a bout with IBF welterweight champ Floyd Mayweather Jr. or another contender.

Disinfected
By the Blue Jays, their clubhouse at Rogers Centre, after two players in less than a month were placed on the disabled list with staph infections. Outfielder Alex Rios hasn't played since June 27, and last Saturday pitcher Ty Taubenheim went on the DL with an infected left foot. The clubhouse was examined by health inspectors during the All-Star break; no staph source was found, but the team decided to give the area a cleansing anyway.

Sued
By A's slugger Frank Thomas, two White Sox team doctors, for allegedly misdiagnosing his broken foot in 2004. Thomas, who signed as a free agent with Oakland this season after 16 years with Chicago, claims that orthopedists Gregory P. Nicholson and Kathleen Weber told him he had a bruised left foot and cleared him to continue playing. Thomas says the injury was actually a bone fracture--and that playing on it led to another broken bone in the foot last year, which put him out of action for 68 games. "He's 280 pounds," said Thomas's lawyer, Thomas Demetrio. "He shouldn't have been walking on that foot, let alone playing baseball." Thomas is seeking unspecified damages.

Withdrew
From the Team USA roster for next month's world championships in Japan, three players: J.J. Redick (back injury), Lamar Odom (personal reasons) and Paul Pierce (elbow injury). A fourth, Lakers forward Kobe Bryant, is highly unlikely to play after he had surgery to clean out scar tissue and loose cartilage in his right knee last Saturday. Bryant will travel with the U.S. team to exhibitions in China and South Korea and the tournament but probably won't be ready to play when the championships begin. "That's why you have a team, so that when these normal life situations come up, we can go on without it being an emergency," said coach Mike Krzyzewski, who must submit his final 12-man roster before the tournament opens on Aug. 19.

Withdrew
From the John Deere Classic in Silvis, Ill., Michelle Wie (above), because of heat exhaustion. Wie, 16, who was trying for the fifth time to become the first woman in 61 years to make the cut in a PGA tournament, shot a six-over 77 in the first round last Thursday. Temperatures were in the high 80s with high humidity the next day, and Wie was in obvious discomfort. She suffered stomach pains, nausea and dizziness and called it quits nine holes into the second round, with her score at eight over for the tournament. Wie was treated at a local hospital and released that night; her next chance at making a PGA cut will be at the 84 Lumber Classic in Farmington, Pa., in September.

Sentenced
To six months' probation after being found guilty of simple assault, Collin Finnerty, one of three Duke lacrosse players charged with raping an exotic dancer at a team party on March 13 (SI, June 26). Finnerty's conviction, which is unrelated to the rape case, stems from a fight he and two friends got into with other bar patrons in the Georgetown section of Washington, D.C., last November. During his probation Finnerty, 19, who could have received six months in jail, must avoid establishments that serve alcohol and is barred from entering the Georgetown area. His lawyer said he will appeal. Finnerty has maintained his innocence in the rape case.

Investigated
By Auburn, claims that several football players padded their GPAs by taking classes that required little work and no attendance. Last week The New York Times reported that 18 players on Auburn's undefeated 2004 team took a total of 97 hours of one-on-one classes--many in areas that usually require classroom instruction--with the same professor. (One former player said he was required only to read one book and write a 10-page paper, though he couldn't remember the book's name.) The school said it launched an investigation in June after a professor complained.

Shot
While driving on a Dallas highway early on Sunday, Cowboys safety Keith Davis. He suffered minor injuries and is expected to be ready when training camp opens next week. Davis, 27, was driving home from a family vacation at 5 a.m. when a car pulled up beside his and opened fire. He was struck twice but was able to pull over. The police were looking for possible motives, including carjacking. Davis (left) was also shot outside a Dallas topless club three years ago. "The thing that's really pertinent here is that Keith was not involved in any type of criminal activity or anything like that," his agent, Curtis Stephens, said. "This is not the residual effect of that."

Abducted
By gunmen in Baghdad, several members of the Iraqi Olympic committee, including its chairman, Ahmed al-Hijiya. (Two people were killed in the attack.) The kidnappers--who wore Iraqi police uniforms--stormed a conference room where a committee meeting was being held last Saturday and abducted at least 30 people. The daylight raid came two days after the country's Olympic wrestling coach, Mohammed Karim Abid Sahib, was killed in a botched kidnapping attempt. On Sunday six members of the Olympic committee were released blindfolded and unharmed.

1