The Daytona 500, the most important stock car race of the season, will be run on Feb. 17 at Daytona International Speedway. For the benefit of those unfamiliar with the sport, here are definitions of 10 stock car terms one might hear at the race:
2. Tahr-The rubber object that surrounds a wheel.
3. Stagger-Put different-sized tahrs on each side.
4. Blowed-What a stressed engine did.
5. Breathe-Back off on the throttle so the engine doesn't get blowed.
6. Loose-A description of a car that seems to lose traction in a turn.
7. Trade ends-Spin out, or what a loose car might do.
8. Trade paint-Come within an inch or less of another car.
9. Behind the wall-Out of the race or, literally, on the other side of the pit wall.