- TOP PLAYERSOffensePABLO S. TORRE | August 20, 2012
- TAMPA BAY buccaneersENEMY lines WHAT A RIVAL COACH SAYSJune 28, 2012
- Faces in the CrowdJune 11, 2001
The 1985 season has seen an unusual number of unusual injuries. Some of them were very painful, so don't laugh:
1. Henry Cotto (of, Yankees) punctured his eardrum May 26 when Ken Griffey bumped into him on the bench as he was cleaning his ear with a Q-tip.
2. Greg Minton (p, Giants) missed much of the spring because of a fingernail injured while shoeing a horse. He also hurt his back lifting a hay bale.
3. Randy Johnson (if, Braves) was sent to the minors after he sprained his left thumb removing a sanitary sock in spring training.
4. Ed Whitson (p, Yankees) hurt his back April 9 leaning over to pull on another dangerous sanitary sock.
5. Kevin Gross (p, Phillies) injured his back body-slamming the Padres' Tim Flannery in a bench-clearing brawl June 3. Two weeks later, he reinjured the back while playfully demonstrating his body-slamming technique on teammate Charles Hudson.
7. Tito Landrum (of, Cardinals) sprained an ankle playing golf. Actually, he stepped on a stick getting out of his car at a golf course.
8. Mark Bailey (c, Astros) missed six games (and interrupted a hot streak) with bruised back muscles suffered when he slipped getting out of the whirlpool.