SI Vault
John Henry Was The One In The Million
William Nack
September 03, 1984
The grand old geezer of racing was it again, leading 11 whippersnappers to the wire in the Chicago's Arlington Millon
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
September 03, 1984

John Henry Was The One In The Million

The grand old geezer of racing was it again, leading 11 whippersnappers to the wire in the Chicago's Arlington Millon

View CoverRead All Articles View This Issue

Jockey Fernando Toro was almost euphoric. There he was, just gliding along in front on a gifted 4-year-old filly named Royal Heroine, as they swept off the turn for home and headed into the straight in Sunday's 1�-mile Budweiser- Arlington Million on the grass at Chicago's Arlington Park. Nijinsky's Secret had already made a run at her, edging to within half a length through the turn, but suddenly Royal Heroine stretched her lead to a length, and Toro knew his filly had him beat. Meanwhile, the odds-on favorite, 9-year-old John Henry, wearing his distinctive shadow roll, was bounding along happily in third, and jockey Chris McCarron had himself a lapful of racehorse. This Toro did not know.

It had all gone so perfectly for Toro. The filly had broken beautifully, had made the lead with ease in the first run through the stretch, then had ho-hummed through a leisurely half-mile in 48[2/5] seconds, the mile in 1:37[2/5], and as they straightened out for home he sensed, not yet having even asked her to run—"She just took off," he said later—that perhaps the race was his. He figured that all that lay between him and the $600,000 first prize, of which 10% would be his, was a mere 400 yards of weeds and sunshine.

Then Toro heard something behind his right shoulder. It was the sound of hoofbeats. "I looked over and just took a peek," he said, "and I saw that shadow roll. I thought that's him again!"

Oh yes, indeed, it was the old horse again, slipping through the narrow opening created as the tiring Nijinsky's Secret drifted out. As the 39,053 spectators saw that move and sent up a sudden roar, John Henry raced into the clear and took aim at the leader. He gained slowly but relentlessly on her, whittling away until he came to her throat at the eighth pole.

Toro rode with a fury. He slashed Royal Heroine with his whip. "My filly was running hard," he said. "She tried to go with him." Now McCarron went to the whip, striking John Henry once as he made the lead. As they neared the 16th pole, Royal Heroine began to shorten stride. "I could feel her start to get tired," Toro said. "But she gave me everything she had."

It was not enough. The horse that his Mexican groom, Jose Mercado, calls El Viejo—The Old One—drew off in the final yards to win by a commanding 1� lengths. His time of 2:01[2/5] was well off the track record of 1:58[4/5], but he caught and crushed Nijinsky's Secret and the filly by smoking them through the final quarter-mile in 23[3/5] seconds. Game to the end, Royal Heroine was second, three lengths in front of 1982 Kentucky Derby-winner, Gato del Sol.

The victory, John Henry's third in a major grass race this year, sent his lifetime earnings to $5,482,797—no other thoroughbred has won even $3 million—and added to his legend. That he has reached so advanced an age yet consistently tow-ropes much younger horses, usually collaring them in the stretch and outgaming them to the wire, is unprecedented in the annals of the sport.

"He's the greatest thing that's ever happened to horse racing," says John Gosden, the trainer of Royal Heroine and one of California's most respected horsemen. "He's now beyond being a horse. I can tell you that he's known all over Europe by anybody who knows anything about horse racing. If you're going to get beat, get beat by an institution."

The institution came to this Million as fit as a racehorse can be, beautifully managed and trained by his conditioner, Ron McAnally. After his spirited victory in the Sunset Handicap at Hollywood Park on July 23, McAnally shipped him to Del Mar, north of San Diego. In his final major work leading to the Million, McAnally put McCarron aboard and told him to let the old horse bounce. He rock-'n'-rolled through a lively mile in 1:35[2/5], by McAnally's watch, and came back growing horns and snorting fire. John Henry flew to Chicago the next day.

"That work at Del Mar was super," McAnally said. "His action was artistry in motion. He's coming to the race great. He's bright, he's alert. If it was any other horse but him, I'd feel pressure, but not with John.... Lately, more than ever, he seems to be running his own kind of race. You can't rush him. He knows why he's out there and what he has to do. He makes his own moves. I know he'll give 100 percent."

Continue Story
1 2 3