- TOP PLAYERSOffensePABLO S. TORRE | August 20, 2012
- TAMPA BAY buccaneersENEMY lines WHAT A RIVAL COACH SAYSJune 28, 2012
- Faces in the CrowdJune 11, 2001
2) Combine these six and the 10 best remaining teams into a 16-team field. This year those 10 teams would include BYU, Washington, South Carolina, Nebraska, Boston College, Miami, Oklahoma State, Southern Methodist, UCLA and Auburn.
3) Have the sportswriters seed the 16 teams.
4) Allow the bowls to remain intact but make them serve a different purpose. Smaller bowls such as the Florida Citrus, Hall of Fame, Freedom and Cherry, along with the Aloha, Sun, Liberty and Peach would be the sites of the first-round games. The quarterfinals would be held in the Bluebonnet, Gator, Cotton and Fiesta bowls, the semis in the Orange and Sugar bowls, and the title game in the Rose Bowl.
5) Let the bowls increase in value. For example, a first-round game should be worth about $250,000 per team and the Rose Bowl game about $1 million per team. Thus, the national champion would benefit the most.
[This article contains a table. Please see hardcopy of magazine or PDF.]