SI Vault
THE WEEK (January 12-18)
Herm Weiskopf
January 26, 1981
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
January 26, 1981

The Week (january 12-18)

View CoverRead All Articles View This Issue


1. OREGON STATE (13-0)


2. DePAUL (15-1)


3. VIRGINIA (13-0)


4. LOUISIANA ST. (14-1)


5. WAKE FOREST (14-0)


6. KENTUCKY (11-2)


7. TENNESSEE (12-2)


S. ARIZONA ST. (13-2)


9. UCLA (9-3)


10. IOWA (11-2)


11. MARYLAND (12-3)


12. NOTRE DAME (9-3)


13. UTAH (15-1)


14. S. ALABAMA (15-1)


15. CLEMSON (13-3)


16. ILLINOIS (11-2)


17. BYU (13-3)


18. MICHIGAN (11-2)


19. MINNESOTA (10-3)


20. N. CAROLINA (12-4)


* Last week


Quick quiz: When is a game over? If you said, "When time runs out," you're wrong. If you answered, "When the final buzzer or horn or gun sounds," you're 0 for 2. As Edinboro State and host Lock Haven State learned during a Pennsylvania Conference battle, a game isn't over until the officials say so. In this case, referees Bob King and Pat Scullen called the teams back on the floor 30 minutes after Lock Haven's Bald Eagles left with what they felt was an 84-82 home-court victory. At least that's what the scoreboard said. But while checking their books after the game, both scorekeepers came up with 84 points for the Fighting Scots, so an overtime period was ordered. First, however, a substitute scoreboard operator was enlisted because the regular one had gone home. Lock Haven finally won after the second extra period, 97-92. The Bald Eagles' Ken Richter scored 27 points.

Maryland fans also learned that victory can never be assumed. With 55 seconds left in a showdown with Virginia for first place in the ACC, the Terrapins led 63-60 and had hot-shooting Ernest Graham at the foul line in a bonus situation. Graham missed, and Virginia's Jeff Jones canned a jumper to make the score 63-62 with 39 seconds left. After Dutch Morley made it 64-62 and then missed his bonus free throw, Jeff Lamp tied the game on a jump shot with 10 seconds remaining. Graham, who had trouble inbounding the ball, waited too long to call a time-out and the Cavaliers got the game's last points on Lamp's baseliner six seconds from the end. Virginia later beat Georgia Tech 85-48, and Maryland was a 68-62 overtime winner at Clemson. The Tigers, who had won their last 22 home games, led 42-36 at halftime of a fast-paced contest. The Terps' triangle-and-two zone slowed the action in the second half and held Clemson to 16 points. With Albert King scoring six of his 22 points in the extra period, Maryland climaxed its comeback.

By winning 76-73 at Duke and beating North Carolina State 60-52, Wake Forest stayed within half a game of Virginia. ACC road wins have been rare for the Deacons—two in the last three seasons—but a 15-point edge, with 12 minutes left, helped them survive the Blue Devils. North Carolina State resorted to a waltzlike pace against the Deacons, who handled it well and ran their record to 14-0, their finest start since 1927.

North Carolina squandered a 14-point advantage over North Carolina State, but James Worthy, who had 22 points and 10 rebounds, put the Tar Heels back in front 63-62 when he scored from inside. After the 73-70 triumph. North Carolina drubbed Duke 80-65.

"There's been more emphasis on winning than on playing well, and we've got to get back to doing that," said Corny Thompson of Connecticut following the Huskies' 61-58 win at New Hampshire after leading by 17. In a Big East game, Boston College handed Connecticut its first loss, 58-57. After BC's Bennett Adams stole the ball with 5:50 left, the Eagles stalled until John Bagley sank a jumper for a 57-53 lead with 1:22 to go. Three days later, on the third anniversary of the Hartford Civic Center roof collapse, Connecticut brought down the roof again by beating St. John's 69-68. Chuck Aleksinas had 25 points for the Huskies, his last basket putting them ahead 67-66. After the Redmen regained the lead, Thompson got the last of his 22 points on an 18-footer with eight seconds left.

Colgate's Mike Ferrara, who is second in the nation in scoring with a 28.9 average, pumped in 42 points during a 93-90 win over Bucknell. That was more points than either team had when Catholic University stopped the Red Raiders 38-37 in triple overtime. In that game, Ferrara scored seven points.

Another high scorer, Boo Bowers of American University, was sidelined with a badly sprained right knee. Bowers, who'll be out for three to six weeks, was third in the nation with a 27-point average, and his career average of 22.2 was the highest for any senior in the country. Even without Bowers, American beat Bucknell 75-65 for its ninth straight win, a team record.


The loudest noises in the Pacific Northwest since Mount St. Helens erupted came from the chest-thumping of Oregon State rooters, who were wildly ecstatic that their team had been ranked No. 1 in the polls. Never before had the Beavers been voted first in any sport, and their accomplishments on the court did much to assuage the frustrations of an 0-11 football season. The No. 1 ranking was also a first for craggy-faced Coach Ralph Miller, now in his 30th season of chalk talks. Waiting for a shot at the eager Beavers last Saturday in Corvallis was archrival Oregon. Speaking of Oregon State's possible weaknesses, all Duck Coach Jim Haney could come up with was: "I'm not fond of their colors." But for a few minutes it seemed the Orange and Black might wind up black and blue. The Beavers missed their first six shots and went nearly five minutes without scoring. Furthermore, Center Steve Johnson was benched after drawing two quick fouls and Miller received a technical for protesting the calls. After that, however, the Orange Express highballed to an 82—55 win. Johnson came back to get 24 points, tied a Pac-10 mark by sinking all 10 of his floor shots and raised his field-goal accuracy to 79.1%, well ahead of the NCAA-record 71.0% he set last season. As a team, Oregon State is shooting 59.0% this season, more than a point better than the NCAA mark established a year ago by Missouri.

Continue Story
1 2 3 4