SI Vault
Herm Weiskopf
November 05, 1979
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
November 05, 1979

The Week

View CoverRead All Articles View This Issue


At Nebraska's Memorial Stadium a sign said: REDWINE GOES WELL WITH FILET OF BUFFALO. With Jarvis Redwine rushing for 206 yards and scoring on runs of 23, 56 and 13 yards, the Huskers feasted on Colorado's Buffalos 38-10. For Redwine, it was his fifth 100-yard game in a row. In all, Nebraska runners gained 452 yards. Colorado's only consolation was that it ended the Huskers' string of 13 shutout quarters with an early field goal.

Also having a big day was last year's Heisman Trophy winner, Billy Sims of Oklahoma. Sims, who has been hurt much of the season, rambled for 202 yards and four touchdowns against Iowa State. The Sooners scored on six of their first eight possessions, led 38-0 at one point and finished with 566 yards of total offense, 493 of them on the ground, as the Cyclones succumbed 38-9. Oklahoma remained tied with Nebraska for the Big Eight lead. Freshman Alex Giffords set an Iowa State record with a 58-yard field goal.

Kansas State's top two quarterbacks were both out with injuries so Coach Jim Dickey was forced to give his son Darrell, a freshman, a chance to start against Missouri. Darrell came through by connecting on 15 of 25 passes for 187 yards and a pair of touchdowns as the Wildcats jarred the Tigers 19-3.

For the third game in a row, Ohio State rolled up more than 500 yards and 40 points. This time, the Buckeyes amassed 533 yards on 89 plays as they swamped Michigan State 42-0. Everything worked for State, even a planned deep pass on its second play from scrimmage—a 54-yard scoring bomb from Art Schlichter to Doug (White Lightning) Donley. Schlichter hit on half of his 16 throws for 154 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for 33 more while scoring twice himself. It was the second shutout in succession for the Buckeyes, who have yielded only two touchdowns in the last 20 quarters.

Lawrence Reid of Michigan deliberately threw the ball away after catching a pass and thereby helped the Wolverines squirm past Indiana 27-21 and remain tied with Ohio State for the Big Ten lead. How come? The Hoosiers had tied the score at 21-21 with 55 seconds left. Two plays after the kickoff the Wolverines were on their own 44 with 14 seconds to go. John Wangler then passed six yards to Reid. Realizing he wouldn't make it to the goal, Reid chucked the ball out of bounds. That stopped the clock. But no penalty was assessed even though Reid's action apparently violated NCAA Rule 7-2-1, which makes it illegal "to throw the ball intentionally out of bounds to conserve time." Wangler then hit Anthony Carter with a touchdown pass as the clock ran out.

Paul Suess passed for all three Iowa touchdowns in a 24-13 Hawkeye victory over Wisconsin, one of those scores coming on a 75-yard toss to Dennis Mosley.

Purdue's huge drum—the "World's Largest Drum"—couldn't be found on the morning of the Northwestern game. Also missing was the Boilermakers' scoring punch. Purdue had three passes intercepted, was penalized for having too many players on the field, had a PAT kick blocked, was called for a 42-yard pass-interference penalty that gave Northwestern the ball at the Boilermakers' one and lost a fumble that the Wildcats fell on for a touchdown. Nevertheless, Purdue prevailed 20-16 as Mark Herrmann hit on 19 of 34 passes for 228 yards and a touchdown.

Illinois, ninth in the Big Ten in rushing, tore through Minnesota for 242 yards on the ground. Mike Holmes rushed for 195 of those yards, but the Illini had to settle for a 17-17 tie. Paul Rogind of the Gophers broke a school record with a 57-yard field goal.

Pinpoint passing in the clutch by Rusty Lisch enabled Notre Dame to beat South Carolina 18-17. With the Gamecocks leading 17-3 late in the third period, Vagas Ferguson ignited the Irish comeback with a 26-yard scoring run. Lisch then took them 80 yards in 54 seconds, completing six of seven passes, the last a 14-yarder to Dean Masztak for a TD with 42 seconds remaining. That left Notre Dame behind 17-16. Lisch then wrapped up the resurgence with a two-point conversion pass to Pete Holohan.

Continue Story
1 2 3 4 5