- TOP PLAYERSOffensePABLO S. TORRE | August 20, 2012
- TAMPA BAY buccaneersENEMY lines WHAT A RIVAL COACH SAYSJune 28, 2012
- Faces in the CrowdJune 11, 2001
The race: Ayulo set new record of 123.012 mph. Johnny Parsons, who held previous record of 104.20 mph in 1951, was first to drop out. Bob Scott (Ray Brady Spcl) lost control from heat prostration and was killed. Ernie McCoy (Auto Shippers Spcl) crashed at northwest wall on lap 87, suffering cuts.
AUGUST 21: SPRINGFIELD, ILL.
100 miles; 1 mile dirt; crowd 21,000. Total prize money $16,472.41. 18 started?18 finished 100 laps.
1. Jimmy Davies (Pat Clancy Spcl) 92.57 mph.
Earnings & points: Davies $4,118.10?200 pts.; Stevenson $2,965.03?160 pts.; Freeland $1,647.24?140 pts.
The race: Davies, starting fifth, grabbed the lead on first lap and held it throughout. Stevenson finished two seconds behind. Only two cars made pit stops: Sam Hanks, 1953 A.A.A. champion in Bardahl Special and Jimmy Bryan's Dean Van Lines Special.
200 miles; 1 mile asphalt; crowd 27,386. Total prize money $30,800. 26 started?20 finished 100 laps.
1. Manuel Ayulo (Schmidt Spcl) 96.24 mph.