Earnings & points: Ayulo $7,700?400 pts.; Stevenson $4,620?320 pts.; Bryan $2,772?280 pts.
The race: Lead changed hands 12 times in tremendous battle between Ayulo and Stevenson. Latter, low on gas, coasted over finish line. Ayulo had only ?-inch of gas left in his tank. Winner's speed, purse and crowd attendance both set new records.
SEPT. 6: DUQUOIN, ILL.
100 miles; 1 mile dirt; crowd 8,290. Total prize money $14,000. 18 started?10 running when race was stopped.
1. Sam Hanks (Belanger Spcl) 106.06 mph.
2. Chuck Stevenson (Agajanian Spcl).
3. Jimmy Bryan (Dean Van Lines Spcl).
Earnings & points: Hanks $3,500?200 pts.; Stevenson $2,520?160 pts.; Bryan $1,400?140 pts.
The race: Roger Ward (Peter Smith Spcl) went out of control on the main stretch, tragically killing Clay Smith, Stevenson's mechanic, and injuring 8. Ward was little hurt but race was stopped. Exact cause of crash unknown.
SEPT. 6: PIKE'S PEAK, COLO.
12? mile hill climb; dirt; crowd 10,000 (est.). Total prize money $10,400. 20 started.
1. Keith Andrews (Joe Hunt Magneto Spcl) 51.19 mph.
2. Hugh Thomas (Bandimere Spcl).
3. Bob Finney (Bob Frenzell Cars Spcl).