Last week Assistant Publisher Dick Neale handed me the following note: "As you know, I've been living with the Hungarian and Rumanian Olympic athletes since they have been in America, and I thought that some of our readers would get the same kind of personal reward from knowing them that I have. How about running a special MEMO FROM THE PUBLISHER called 'Scouting Report on Future Americans'?
"This would give our readers an opportunity to send along to you any job and college offers which they may know of. This week the group is starting its six-week nationwide freedom tour. Many SPORTS ILLUSTRATED readers can therefore look forward to meeting these fine athletes in person very shortly."
A good idea. The "scouting report" follows.
22. Gymnast. U.S. goal: to start gym school for children with Margit Korondi.
24. Water poloist. U.S. goal: college, then a job on stock exchange.
22. Water poloist. Studied law. U.S. goal: architecture, ceramics or law.
36. Swimming coach. Can speak German, French, Italian. U.S. goal: to coach.
41. Swimming coach. U.S. goal: to coach, apply his new backstroke style.
23. Fencer. Chemical engineer. U.S. goal: enter plastics field and continue fencing.
18. Water poloist. Fine ice hockey player. U.S. goal: study of medicine.