- TOP PLAYERSOffensePABLO S. TORRE | August 20, 2012
- TAMPA BAY buccaneersENEMY lines WHAT A RIVAL COACH SAYSJune 28, 2012
- Faces in the CrowdJune 11, 2001
Let' Play Two
IT'S THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY of the release of Bull Durham. I was talking to Tim Robbins (above, right), who played fireballer Nuke LaLoosh, and he told me that he and writer-director Ron Shelton had actually kicked around the idea of doing a Bull Durham sequel. "I have a scene in my head," Robbins said. "Nuke at a trade show, selling autographs, being washed up, trying to regain his former glory, and then he comes up with an idea: I'll throw the knuckleball."
Honestly, I don't know if I like this. Nuke becomes Phil Niekro? But it got me thinking about some other possible sports movie sequels:
1. Field of Dreams II This time the voice tells Ray Kinsella, "Now build some luxury boxes; the corporate clients will come. Trust me."
2. 33* The story of Roger Maris's 1962 season.
3. White Men Can Jump a Little A leap of faith, starring Tyler Hansbrough.
5. The Longest Yard II: Prison Guards vs. Bengals
6. Jerry Maguire II: Eyes Wide Shut In which Jerry says to wife Dorothy, "You know what would really complete me...."
7. The Un-Natural Roy Hobbs gets another shot at glory, a disturbing paean to HGH.