- FISHERMAN'S CALENDARMay 05, 1958
- FAREWELL TO AN ODD DOME HOMEJudge Hofheinz's private Astrodome quarters will soon be just a gaudy memoryRichard Conniff | March 14, 1988
- IT'S NOT AS EASY AS IT LOOKSJOE POSNANSKI | February 22, 2010
"Money ballplayer" describes a clutch performer, but it can also refer to the gentlemen listed here. SI asked the clubhouse men who serve visiting major league teams to name the most generous tippers, and while many were mentioned, these 10 really left their marks.
1. George Brett, Royals. He tips $100 a day, well above the $25 norm. "A real pleasure, " says one clubhouse man. "He never bitches or makes a special request. He'll even come in early and shuck corn for me."
2. Dave Smith, Cubs. Another C-note-a-day guy. "Far and away the best in the league."
3. Tony Gwynn, Padres. "He never slumps, even as a tipper."
5. Kevin Mitchell, Giants. "He shames teammates into giving bigger tips."
6. Orel Hershiser, Dodgers. "He always says, 'Take care of the [clubhouse] kids.' "
7. Fred McGriff, Padres. "He once got off the team bus on getaway day to pay me."
9. Roger McDowell, Phillies. "He was always good, even before he got the big contract."