SI Vault
 
Pedaling in the Park
Peter Sikowitz
November 18, 1991
After years of pounding the pavement, the author gave up running for bike racing
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
November 18, 1991

Pedaling In The Park

After years of pounding the pavement, the author gave up running for bike racing

View CoverRead All Articles View This Issue
1 2 3 4

I disconnected myself from him with 100 yards to go when one rider and then another hit the pavement in front of me. I swerved around them to the right, got out of the saddle and sprinted maniacally uphill to the finish. As I crossed the line I thought my head and heart would explode simultaneously.

Coasting down the hill, I counted 11 riders in front of me, which I assumed included the six B2's. I circled back and found Fraiman, who asked me how I did. "Great," I said, breathlessly telling him about the two guys arguing and how I decided to go out in front and how I was leading with only five miles to go and I almost won and....

"Yeah," he said with a smile. "I'll bet those guys were glad you came along."

I'm still not exactly sure what he meant by that remark. I don't know much about bicycle racing, but as far as I can tell, you learn about 50% of everything you'll ever know after finishing the first lap, and maybe 80% by the time the race is over. I think Fraiman's comment had something to do with that remaining 20%, which just might take a few more than four laps to master.

1 2 3 4
Related Topics
  ARTICLES GALLERIES COVERS
Arnold Fraiman 1 0 0
Jim Boyd 1 0 0
Central Park 27 0 1
Century Road Club Association 1 0 0
Peter Sikowitz 0 0 0