- TOP PLAYERSOffensePABLO S. TORRE | August 20, 2012
- TAMPA BAY buccaneersENEMY lines WHAT A RIVAL COACH SAYSJune 28, 2012
- Faces in the CrowdJune 11, 2001
• Michelle Carter, shot put, daughter of Michael Carter, 1984 silver medalist in the shot and former Pro Bowl nosetackle for the San Francisco 49ers. The elder Carter is the only athlete to have won an Olympic medal and a Super Bowl ring in the same year.
• Marvell Wynne, soccer defender, son of former San Diego Padres outfielder Marvell Sr.
• Mariel Zagunis, defending gold medalist in sabre fencing and daughter of Cathy and Robert Zagunis, who rowed in the '76 Montreal Games.
• Ariel Rittenhouse, diving, daughter of 1964 swimming silver medalist Sharon Finneran and niece of 1972 Olympic diver Mike Finneran.
• JW Krumpholz, water polo, son of Kurt Krumpholz, who set a world record in the 400-meter freestyle in the preliminaries of the '72 Olympic trials, then failed to make the team.
• Shalane Flanagan, 10,000 meters, daughter of ex-marathon world-record holder Cheryl Treworgy, now a track and field photographer who often shoots Shalane in action.
Lovieanne Jung, softball. The second baseman was named for Gilligan's Island characters Lovey Howell (the millionaire's wife) and Mary Anne Summers. Sadam Ali, a 132-pounder, will be not only the first Arab-American Olympic fighter but also the first Ali to box in the Games for the U.S.—the 1960 gold medalist was still Cassius Clay.
THE SUPER SIX
Of the half-dozen members of the soon-to-be-famous women's gymnastics team, four are from the Midwest—Shawn Johnson (West Des Moines, Iowa), Chellsie Memmel (West Allis, Wis.), Samantha Peszek (Indianapolis) and Bridget Sloan (Pittsboro, Ind.)—and two are coached by their fathers. Nastia Liukin (opposite) trains in Plano, Texas, under dad Valeri, a four-time Olympic medalist for the Soviet Union, and Memmel is coached by dad Andy, who runs a gymnastics gym.