- TOP PLAYERSOffensePABLO S. TORRE | August 20, 2012
- TAMPA BAY buccaneersENEMY lines WHAT A RIVAL COACH SAYSJune 28, 2012
- Faces in the CrowdJune 11, 2001
THINK MICHAEL PHELPS is a shoo-in to be SI's Sportsman of the Year? Not so fast. Mark Spitz won seven golds in 1972 but lost out to Billie Jean King and John Wooden. Plus, it's only September. There's plenty of time for any of these things to happen....
• In a tearful interview with Cris Collinsworth, Phelps's mom admits her son is really 13.
• Phelps's success revives history's most frightening fashion trend: dads in Speedos.
• Tiger Woods makes a shocking Ryder Cup appearance and drains dramatic winning putt—with his cane.
• Your 2008 U.S. Open mixed doubles champs: Billie Jean King and John Wooden.
• Kerry Wood wins World Series MVP on the same night Phelps robs a nursing home. (Nah, Phelps still gets it.)
• Three words: Mrs. Paris Phelps.
COULD THE Redeem Team take down the original Dream Team? Two members of the 1992 U.S. gold medal squad, Larry Bird and Patrick Ewing, were on the show last week. Guess who they picked? The diplomatic Bird said the '08 team wouldn't have an answer for Charles Barkley. Ewing was more blunt: "We'd kick their butt."
A Lightning Bolt in the NFL?