SI Vault
Walter Bingham
October 29, 1962
With only a minute to play, the first-ranked team in the country was losing to the underdog University of Arkansas. Then a chorus of whoops and hollers signaled a Longhorn victory
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
October 29, 1962

Texas Keeps Its Place On Top

With only a minute to play, the first-ranked team in the country was losing to the underdog University of Arkansas. Then a chorus of whoops and hollers signaled a Longhorn victory

View CoverRead All Articles View This Issue
1 2

The preparation by both teams was evident in the first quarter of the game. Arkansas forced Texas back near its own goal line, and its deep safety man discouraged Texas from quick-kicking. Texas, on its part, stopped Arkansas' outside attack, the ends doing their job well. On the sidelines Broyles and Royal paced back and forth like expectant fathers, Broyles with his shirttails hanging out, Royal nervously mopping his forehead with the back of his hand.

Early in the second quarter Billy Moore caught Texas guarding too much outside and sent his fullback up the middle for nine yards and a first down. When Texas drew in Moore flipped a little pass for nine more yards. But that was all the big Texas line would permit. On fourth down from the 24-yard line, Broyles sent in a sophomore center named Tom McKnelly and told him to kick a field goal. McKnelly had never kicked one before, but that didn't worry him. He gave the ball a boot, and it shot forward like a rocket. If the goal posts had been 10 yards farther away and only three feet wide, the kick still would have been good. Arkansas led 3-0.

In the third quarter it almost led by more. Playing beautifully, Moore brought the Razorbacks to the three. There he gave the ball to Danny Brabham, a tackle turned fullback. Brabham made it to the goal line, perhaps over, but without the ball. Texas recovered in the end zone, and Arkansas was never to have such a chance again.

In spite of this disappointment, Arkansas looked like a winner well into the final quarter. There was certainly no hint of the drama ahead when Quarterback Duke Carlisle lost five yards on his own 15, with 8:13 left to play. The Arkansas goal was 90 yards away, almost as many yards as Texas had been able to gain in the entire game. Perhaps Arkansas sensed the victory at hand and relaxed. In any event, Carlisle passed for 12 yards and again for 11, and Texas had a first down on its own 33. On opposite sidelines Broyles and Royal were doing the dance of madmen, Royal sending in players to keep the momentum, Broyles sending in players to stop it.

But there was no slopping it. Arkansas intercepted a pass on its own 35 only to be told that it had been intercepted a foot out of bounds. With 40 seconds left, Texas' Johnny Genung was trapped on the nine, but as he was falling he managed to flip a little pass that was knocked down. It was a magnificent effort that stopped the clock.

At this moment Darrell Royal sent Tommy Ford back into the game. Ford got the ball, slanted off tackle and a hole opened up. "All I could see was green grass and the end zone," he said later. Ford fell over the goal line, and the state of Texas went out of its mind.

With the crack of the final gun, Darrell Royal, surrounded by a mob, fought his way toward midfield. Frank Broyles, surrounded by no one, was there to meet him. The two shook hands in the traditional manner, no more, no less. Then Royal began trading hugs and punches with his assistant coaches as the whole group was borne off toward the dressing room. Broyles watched him an instant, turned and walked away, his right hand idly tucking in his shirttail.

1 2