- TOP PLAYERSOffensePABLO S. TORRE | August 20, 2012
- TAMPA BAY buccaneersENEMY lines WHAT A RIVAL COACH SAYSJune 28, 2012
- Faces in the CrowdJune 11, 2001
• Cross-country skier Andy Newell cofounded X Ski Films, a production company that makes movies designed to make cross-country skiing seem edgy and cool.
• Moguls skier Michelle Roark, who studied chemical engineering at the Colorado School of Mines, started Phi-nomenal, a perfume line.
THE MUSIC MAN
Biathlete Lowell Bailey, a mandolinist and guitarist, plays in a bluegrass group led by his father called the George Bailey Trio. Lowell wrote and recorded the biathlon team's theme song, Fire You Down.
To help cover her training expenses, speedskater Jilleanne Rookard worked as a deejay at a roller-skating rink in Milwaukee.
Snowboarder Chris Klug underwent a life-saving liver transplant in 2000, and two years later he earned a bronze medal at the Salt Lake City Games. Klug, the only organ transplant recipient to win an Olympic medal, is back to compete in his third Games. Cross-country skier Kris Freeman is the first athlete with type 1 diabetes to compete in the Olympics in an endurance sport.
Hockey player Molly Engstrom won the Indiana state high school title in the discus. Moguls skier Hannah Kearney won New Hampshire state championships in track and soccer. Bobsledder Michelle Rzepka was a Big Ten pole vault champion at Michigan State. Her teammate Emily Azevedo was captain of the UC Davis track team and once held the school's 100-meter-hurdles record.