- TOP PLAYERSOffensePABLO S. TORRE | August 20, 2012
- TAMPA BAY buccaneersENEMY lines WHAT A RIVAL COACH SAYSJune 28, 2012
- Faces in the CrowdJune 11, 2001
As a running back, Vikings rookie Toby Gerhart is forbidden by NFL rules to wear number 7, which he wore at Stanford. Instead, he took 32. "I always preferred the single digit; I felt like it made me look slimmer, sleeker, faster," he joked. The 235-pounder said he's a ballcarrier, not a blocker: "They see me as a running back that can add another dimension to their offense."
Don't believe that being a major league manager requires a 24/7 commitment? Red Sox manager Terry Francona told me that he's driven his car in uniform as recently as this spring. "We played Houston for a day game and Tampa Bay [at] night," he told me. "I had to make a pit stop at a CVS to go to the bathroom in full uni. I got a couple of looks."
Line of the week
After his first PGA win, Rory McIlroy, 21, vowed he wouldn't let his success go to his head: "You gotta take a little bit from what Tiger's been through the last few months. You just have to be careful."
Now Hear This
Listen to the podcasts at danpatrick.com/interviews
1. New Eagles QB Kevin Kolb discusses Philly sports fans.
2. Veteran pitcher John Smoltz explains why he hasn't retired.