SI Vault
For the Record
July 12, 2010
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
July 12, 2010

For The Record

View CoverRead All Articles


Of kidney failure in Damascus, Mohammed Oudeh, 73, the terrorist who masterminded the 1972 attack at the Munich Olympics that killed 11 Israeli athletes. Also known as Abu Daoud, Oudeh (inset), as a leader of the Black September group, oversaw plans for—but did not participate in—the raid that saw eight hooded Palestinian terrorists break into a dormitory in the Olympic Village in the middle of the night on Sept. 5. Two of the athletes were killed trying to overpower Oudeh's gunmen, while nine others perished after a tense 20-hour standoff when German police attempted to rescue the hostages as they and their captors boarded a plane supposedly bound for Cairo. Unrepentant to the end, Oudeh, who survived what was presumed to be an assassination attempt by the Mossad (Israel's national intelligence agency) in 1981, saw the attack as the event that elevated the PLO's fight to global awareness.


As athletic director at Georgia, Damon Evans, who was arrested on a DUI charge by state police in Atlanta late on the night of June 30. According to the incident report, when he was pulled over, Evans, 40, a married father of two, had between his legs a pair of red panties, which he said belonged to his passenger, 28-year-old Courtney Fuhrmann. Evans refused a Breathalyzer test, and tried bargaining with the state trooper, saying, "I am not trying to bribe you, but I am the athletic director of the University of Georgia." Although Fuhrmann had been told to stay in the car, she repeatedly got out to argue. (She was also arrested, and charged with disorderly conduct.) At a news conference in Athens last Thursday—the same day his new five-year, $2.75 million contract went into effect—Evans said, "I let this university down. I let my family down." A wideout for the Bulldogs from 1988 to '92, he was the SEC's first black AD when he was hired in 2004.


After collapsing on a boat near his hometown of Windsor, Ont., on Monday, former NHL enforcer Bob Probert, 45. In a hard business that is the province of rough men, the former Red Wing and Blackhawk was arguably the most feared fighter the game has ever known. Probert (right) amassed 3,300 penalty minutes—fifth in NHL history—seemingly five minutes at a time. His series of scraps with fellow tough guys Tie Domi and Stu Grimson, and a tussle with Marty McSorley in 1994 that lasted more than a minute and a half, were considered hallmarks of the genre. Unlike some one-dimensional goons, Probert was blessed with skill and soft hands, and he amassed 163 goals and 221 assists in 935 games. But his career was marked by alcohol- and substance-abuse problems, including a 1989 incident in which he was arrested for cocaine possession while attempting to cross the Canadian border, an offense for which he spent three months in a U.S. federal prison.


As interim manager of the Diamondbacks, 1988 NL MVP Kirk Gibson, 53, who last Thursday moved up from his role as bench coach to replace the fired A.J. Hinch. At week's end Arizona was mired in last place in the NL West (32--50), while its hitters were striking out at the majors' highest rate and its pitchers had baseball's worst ERA (5.31). Gibson was renowned as a fiery competitor during his 17-year career with the Tigers, Dodgers, Royals and Pirates. Arizona president Derrick Hall said that Gibson, who has no prior managerial experience, will have the rest of the season to earn the job permanently. "I used to strike out a lot," said Gibson. "I used to be a pull hitter. But I changed. So my mentality is that you can change, that you can make adjustments if you choose to."


By authorities in Iceland, the body of American chess champion Bobby Fischer, so that a DNA test can be performed to determine if he is the father of a nine-year-old girl from the Philippines. Fischer, who died of renal failure in Iceland two years ago at age 64, left no will, and legal disputes over his estate, reportedly worth $2 million, are ongoing. The disinterment is the result of a decision last month by the country's supreme court, which said in its judgment that Fischer had regular contact with the girl, Jinky Young, and her mother. Fischer had lived in Iceland, where in 1972 he won the world chess championship over the Soviet Union's Boris Spassky, since 2005.

Continue Story
1 2