THE Packers were off and running toward their first championship season in 17 years.
(1) Green Bay capped a six-game winning streak with consecutive victories over Minnesota, during which Paul Hornung scored a TD and kicked four field goals and six extra points. Despite missing two games during the season, Hornung had 10 touchdowns and was named All-Pro as a kicker.
(2) In '61 Bart Starr (15) equaled his previous career total of 11 wins as a starter and delivered his first game with three TD passes, here at Wrigley Field in November.
(3) Though rookie Elijah Pitts (22) and his fellow rushers were held in check the next week against the Rams, Starr saved the day with three more air strikes.
(4) On Thanksgiving, All-Pro linebacker Bill Forester helped drag down the Lions in Detroit, avenging a Week 1 loss and all but clinching the NFL West crown.
(5) In December, Max McGee (85) and the Pack gained 404 total yards against the Giants' 262, a preview of the offensive dominance they would show at the teams' title-game reunion four weeks later.