SI Vault
 
NEW YORK giants
August 04, 2011
ENEMY lines WHAT A RIVAL COACH SAYS
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
August 04, 2011

New York Giants

SEPTEMBER

11 AT WASHINGTON

4:15 PM

19 ST. LOUIS

8:30 PM

25 AT PHILADELPHIA

1 PM

OCTOBER

2 AT ARIZONA

4:05 PM

9 SEATTLE

1 PM

16 BUFFALO

1 PM

23 BYE WEEK

30 MIAMI

1 PM

NOVEMBER

6 AT NEW ENGLAND

4:15 PM

13 AT SAN FRANCISCO

4:15 PM

20 PHILADELPHIA

8:20 PM

28 AT NEW ORLEANS

8:30 PM

DECEMBER

4 GREEN BAY

4:15 PM

11 AT DALLAS

8:20 PM

18 WASHINGTON

1 PM

24 AT NEW YORK JETS

1 PM

JANUARY

1 DALLAS

1 PM

ENEMY lines WHAT A RIVAL COACH SAYS

"THE GIANTS HAD some injuries on the offensive line and at receiver last year, and that affected them. If their receiving corps stays healthy, I would expect Eli Manning to have a really solid season, possibly better than he did last year. Remember, he was coming off plantar fasciitis after 2009.

Hakeem Nicks is a rising player. Like Dez Bryant in Dallas, Nicks can become one of the better receivers in the league. He is the main receiving threat in the red zone; Manning will throw the jump ball to him.

Mario Manningham has good quickness and is a good route runner. He'll catch the ball over the middle and also get deep.

Tight end Travis Beckum was definitely on the radar even before Kevin Boss left for Oakland. Beckum has totally disappeared for a few weeks and then come out and made a couple of plays. Athletically, he runs well for a tight end. When you play the Giants, you have to be aware of him.

When Steve Smith got hurt last year, Beckum played some of that slot receiver role and did well. Even though he's a tight end, the Giants flexed him out.

Since they decided to bring back Ahmad Bradshaw, I think they'll go with him over Brandon Jacobs as the feature runner. Even though Bradshaw has had some minor foot issues, he can be very productive. It might be a 1- and 1A-type arrangement with Bradshaw getting 60 percent of the carries and Jacobs the other 40 percent, including the goal line touchdowns. If those two are healthy, I'm not sure any other back on this team makes an impact."

2011 schedule GAMES WEEK TO WEEK

[This article contains a table. Please see hardcopy of magazine or PDF.]

Continue Story
1 2 3