Rules And Tools
Anchored putting looks like it will be banned, effective January 2016. Where do you stand on the rules of the game?
The USGA will have to pry my nuclear golf ball from my cold, dead fingers. If I had to give up 25 yards off the tee, I'd probably quit. But we can't keep tearing up classic courses in a desperate attempt to maintain their relevance for the pros.
Some of the equipment has gotten out of control—drivers and balls. Everything is more efficient, it's made better, the tolerances are smaller. Right now, we're using the best equipment ever made.
Bifurcation is the future. I don't think amateurs need any changes, but you need a different set of rules for elite players. Give them a ball that doesn't go as far, so that 7,000 yards is still meaningful, a 450-yard par-4 is meaningful and a 570-yard par-5 is almost unreachable. When the USGA talks about tradition, those things I listed are the bedrock of the game.
I'm for bifurcation. At the very least any new technological improvements should be directly correlated to clubhead speed. If you gain one yard for each mile of clubhead speed, fine. But if you gain three yards for each mph of clubhead speed over 110 mph, no. The current equipment calculus seems rigged in favor of the top 1% and against the other 99% of us.